Quinoa is couscous for Celiacs. And like couscous, it’s pretty bland unless you flavour it with something. Harissa is a good something. Combine that with some grilled still warm veges and a citrus vinaigrette and you’ve a pretty damn tasty slap-up lunch.
- 2T Harissa
- 2C quinoa
- 4 spring onions
- a handful of fresh coriander
You can make your own harissa if you have the time (for which you can find numerous recipes on the net) on this occasion I just used a store bought jar. You should at least taste it for heat prior to adding it and adjust the quantity based on the fire-level and your own tastes. Just keep in mind that the quinoa will roughly double in size when it’s cooked.
- Add 4C of water to a pot on a medium heat and stir in the harissa until thoroughly mixed.
- When the water has come to the boil, add the harissa and cover the pot.
- When the pot has boiled dry (takes about 12mins) take the pot off the heat and leave to steam (to fluff up)
- In the meantime you can finely slice the spring onions and coriander. Move a smaller pile of these to the side for garnishing.
- When the quinoa has cooled, add to a serving bowl with the onions and coriander and fluff/mix with a fork.
Grilled Eggplant and Capsicum salad
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 large bell pepper
- ½ a clove of garlic
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Get a pan (or a griddle if you’re lucky enough to have one) on a medium heat (4/6).
- Deseed, wash, slice the capsicum into generous wedges and toss them in a little olive oil, salt and freshly milled black pepper.
- When the pan is to temperature, place the pepper wedges in the pan and leave them until they’ve lost almost all their bite and have taken some attractive charred bits on the outside – that’ll probably take about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can remove the tops from the eggplants, wash them and slice them into long slivers.
- Place the eggplant slices on a tray, salt them and drizzle a little olive oil over them.
- Add the eggplants to the pan and cook, in a similar vein, turning when the eggplant has begun to soften and taken some barbeque char. Remove when the eggplant is soft but not so much so that it completely fails apart.
- Mince the garlic and mix with juice of half a lemon, about twice that amount of olive oil. Mix the vinaigrette, check and adjust for sharpness, then toss with the grilled veges.